Thursday 16 July 2015

Reflections of a School Librarian

My earliest ambition was to travel the world, meet lots of interesting people and to be a magician.



A career in School Librarianship has already helped me realize many aspects of this and I'm still working on the rest.


Originally I trained in an industrial library - with shelves of reports & specifications rather than books. The engineers were voracious readers and quite a demanding customer base not unlike my current clientele - the teen reader. 


I've been inspired by so many clever authors and motivated by marvellous speakers at educational & literary events. I love being with likeminded professionals who are happiest when sharing good practice.


In fact this networking is key to why I love being a school librarian. I consider myself fortunate to have worked with some brilliant people, especially but not solely, from English departments.


Currently I'm working in a large state secondary School. It's my 13th year here and the changing educational landscape has been challenging but over the past years I've enjoyed a measure of success in collaborative projects both locally and internationally.


Of course as an avid reader - I had inhabited a variety of worlds and becoming a school librarian has allowed me to continue to explore & share this experience. Sharing stories and listening to young people is an essential part of this job and one of the greatest rewards too.


This job is a challenge. In addition to being a super librarian with great resources & magically tidied shelves you are also a sneaky teacher; helping students build up their reading stamina and to sharpen their information skills.
Plus you have to be a role model and keep on learning yourself.


Being a school librarian means taking a pro active approach and using tried and tested methods but avoiding tired and testing ones!


I still love my job!


#End of My first blog post for 23 things...

3 comments:

  1. Lovely post, thank you. Sounds like your school is lucky to have you. #Rudai23

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Irene, thank you for signing up to Rudai 23! The Rudai team members have been assigned a group of participants each to comment on blog posts and help along the way. You're on my list. If you need help or have questions just ask. Looking forward to reading your posts. Love this one. #rudai23

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've enjoyed reading your post and love the idea of magically tidied shelves!

    ReplyDelete